Monday, June 29, 2015

I would rather...

I prefer paper and ink to this machine - I prefer the tapping of a typewriter to the clicking of this keyboard...

I like the feel and smells of paper to the soulless glow of this screen...

I like the feel of a heavy pen between my fingers instead of these plastic squares I am pressing on...

I enjoy the way the ink glides across a page instead of these letters popping up at me like flees  jumping from a dog...

I like the way a leather journal feels in my hand instead of the weight of this bulky computer...

I prefer the pile of notebooks I have accumulated over time to the stack of broken machines in my closet...

I prefer pastels and paints to photo-shop... An empty canvas and clean page in my sketch book to the blank lifeless white of word perfect...

I would rather have  well stocked book shelves instead of disks full of PDFs...

Drawers full of cassettes tapes instead of flash drives filled with mp3s...

Boxes filled with pens I can’t find ink for instead of boxes of broken hard drives... I can’t open anymore...

I would rather write a letter and seal it in an envelope... stamped with something colorful depicting the traditions and art of my culture than simply pressing the send button in g-mail...

I still enjoy all those old news letters and brochures... and pamphlet... over web-sites and blogs...
Even though many of those old news letters are now digital...

I enjoy looking through the old post cards box in antique stores to flipping through google... because I can buy an old post card for under a dollar and turn around and sell it to a collector for $10-20... or keep it in a box of my own...

I would rather go to conventions and be able to hold the item I am looking for instead of browsing the internet for online auctions...

I wish we could get together down at the pub... instead of a chat room...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still send personal notes and cards myself. I love monogrammed stationery ----pretty sheets of paper or cards with my name or just an initial, monogrammed address labels, and even monogrammed seals for the back of the envelope. I need to get some more. After I got married, someone gave me a monogrammed set of flatware with the letter "E" beautifully done on each piece. When I take food to church, I always used one of my monogrammed servers. It's no question it's mine--the "E"--besides who else has monogrammed flatware??!!